What is Metronidazole / Furazolidone?
Metronidazole / Furazolidone is used for Diarrhea, Intestinal infection, Amoebiasis, Amebiasis, Enteritis caused by susceptible bacteria or protozoa, Cholera, Diadrrhea, Stomach infection, Giardiasis, Infections of the abdomen and other conditions.
Metronidazole / Furazolidone is used for the treatment, control, prevention, & improvement of the following diseases, conditions and symptoms:
- Intestinal infection
- Enteritis caused by susceptible bacteria or protozoa
- Stomach infection
- Infections of gum and dental cavities
- Pelvic area infection
- Brain infection
- Lung infection
- Bones infection
- Genital tract infection
- Blood infection
- Pressure sores
- Helicobacter pylori infection
Metronidazole / Furazolidone â Side-effects
The following is a list of possible side-effects that may occur in medicines that contain Metronidazole / Furazolidone. This is not a comprehensive list. These side-effects are possible, but do not always occur. Some of the side-effects may be rare but serious. Consult your doctor if you observe any of the following side-effects, especially if they do not go away.
- Joint or muscle pain
- Brain disease
- Unpleasant metallic taste
- Furred tongue
- Gastrointestinal disturbances
- Darkening of urine
Metronidazole / Furazolidone Working, Mechanism of Action and Pharmacology
Metronidazole / Furazolidone improves the patientâs condition by performing the following functions:
- Inhibiting energy production and killing the bacteria and parasites.
- Binding to bacterial DNA for gradual inhibition of monoamine oxidase.
Metronidazole / Furazolidone â Precautions & How to Use
Before using Metronidazole / Furazolidone, inform your doctor about your current list of medications, over the counter products (e.g. vitamins, herbal supplements, etc.), allergies, pre-existing diseases, and current health conditions (e.g. pregnancy, upcoming surgery, etc.). Some health conditions may make you more susceptible to the side-effects of the drug. Take as directed by your doctor or follow the direction printed on the product insert. Dosage is based on your condition. Tell your doctor if your condition persists or worsens. Important counseling points are listed below.
- Avoid alcohol when taking this drug
- Discontinue use and seek immediate medical attention if experiencing hypersensitivity reactions include a fall in blood pressure, angioedema, fever, arthralgia, urticaria, and vesicular or morbilliform rash
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase-deficient patients
- Patients taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Risk of hypersensitivity reactions
- Risk of liver damage
- Risk of peripheral neuropathy
- Systemic metronidazole